LAME is an educational software used for learning about MPEG Audio Layer III (MP3) encoding. The goal of the LAME project is to use the open source model to improve the psycho acoustics, noise shaping and speed of MP3. LAME is distributed as source code only.
There are dozens of open source and commercial which uses of support LAME. It is distributed in source code format only and compiles on all major systems such as Windows, DOS, GNU/Linux, MacOS X, *BSD, Solaris etc.
- Many improvements in quality in speed over ISO reference software.
- MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
- CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
- Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL , Directshow filter or ACM codec (Windows).
- Free format encoding and decoding.
- GPSYCHO: a GPL’d psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
- Powerful and easy to use presets.
- Quality better than all other encoders at most bit-rates.
- Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PII 266 at highest quality mode.
- MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.
Download: Lame – MP3 Software