SharePoint For Dummies is a comprehensive guide to Microsoft SharePoint, a powerful collaboration and document management platform. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced user, this book provides step-by-step guidance on how to use SharePoint to create and manage sites, lists, libraries, and other features.
In this 2nd edition of the book, you’ll find updated information on SharePoint Online (part of Office 365), as well as on-premises versions of SharePoint. You’ll also learn how to use SharePoint to collaborate with colleagues, manage documents and files, create workflows, and more.
With clear, easy-to-follow instructions and plenty of tips and tricks, “SharePoint for Dummies” is the perfect resource for anyone who wants to get the most out of this powerful platform. So, whether you’re a business owner, IT professional, or simply someone who wants to learn more about SharePoint, this book has everything you need to know.
Purchase this book now
For Dummies (Computer/Tech)
Table of Contents
- For Dummies (Computer/Tech)
- What is covered in the book?
- Important insights and lessons learned from this book
- Critique of the Book
- Users Review About the book
- Our Conclusion about the Book
- Frequently ask Questions
What is covered in the book?
There are several parts of this book starting from basics, SharePoint Administration to advance customization of SharePoint and getting most out of it. Here are detailed list of topics covered in this book.
Part 1: Getting Started with SharePoint
First part covers the basics of the SharePoint, including an introduction to the platform and an overview of its features. It also includes information on how to navigate and get started using it.
Part 2: Collaboration with SharePoint
This section focuses on how to use SharePoint for collaboration and teamwork. It covers how to create and manage sites, lists, and libraries, as well as how to communicate with blogs and discussions.
Part 3: Document Management with SharePoint
Section three covers how to use SharePoint for document management, including how to manage documents, collaborate on them, and manage content types.
Part 4: Advanced Features in SharePoint
This section covers some of the more advanced features of the tool, including workflows, business intelligence features, and customizing pages with web parts. It also includes information on developing applications.
Part 5: Administration and Maintenance
Here you will learn how to administer and maintain a SharePoint site, including information on monitoring and maintaining the sites and users.
Part 6: The Part of Tens
This section includes two “top 10” lists: ten ways to customize your SharePoint site, and ten ways to work with data. It provides readers with quick and practical tips for getting the most out of SharePoint.
Important insights and lessons learned from this book
- SharePoint is a powerful platform for collaboration and document management that can help teams work more efficiently and effectively.
- Understanding the basic concepts and terminology of the tool, such as sites, lists, libraries, and pages, is crucial for using the platform effectively.
- Creating and managing sites, lists, libraries, and pages are fundamental skills for using the SharePoint, and there are many tools and options available for customizing and configuring these elements to meet your specific needs.
- Document management is a key use case for SharePoint, and the platform provides many features for managing documents. This includes version control, check-in/check-out, and co-authoring.
- Workflows are a powerful tool for automating business processes. There are many pre-built workflows available out of the box, as well as options for creating custom workflows using SharePoint Designer or other tools.
- Business intelligence features, such as dashboards and reports, can help you make more informed decisions based on your data.
- Customization is an important aspect of using SharePoint, and there are many options available for customizing the look and feel of your site(s), as well as extending its functionality using custom applications or web parts.
- Administration and maintenance are also important aspects of using SharePoint. It is important to understand how to manage users, groups, permissions, and other settings, as well as how to monitor and troubleshoot issues that may arise.
- Finally, it’s important to approach SharePoint as a platform that can be adapted to your specific needs and use cases, rather than a one-size-fits-all solution. With the right understanding, tools, and strategies, this can be a powerful tool for driving collaboration, productivity, and innovation in your organization.
Critique of the Book
- Lack of depth: The book covers a wide range of topics, but some of them are only briefly touched upon. Some readers may find that they need more detailed explanations or examples to fully understand certain concepts.
- Overwhelming for beginners: While the book is aimed at beginners, it can be overwhelming for those who are completely new to SharePoint. Some readers may find that they need more guidance or step-by-step instructions to get started.
- Limited focus on specific use cases: The book covers SharePoint’s many features and capabilities, but it does not delve deeply into specific use cases or industries. Some readers may find that they need more targeted guidance on how to use it for their particular needs.
- Outdated content: The book was published in 2019, and some of the content may already be outdated due to changes in the platform or new features that have been introduced since the book was published.
- Lack of interactivity: While the book includes screenshots and examples, it is still a static resource that does not offer interactivity or hands-on exercises. Some readers may benefit from more interactive resources or training materials.
Users Review About the book
“I bought this book mostly to help me understand how to perform relatively basic system administration tasks for SharePoint in a small business that has just adopted SharePoint. Unfortunately this is only addressed in a very superficial way in a chapter near the end of the book. The book doesn’t help with what I think are very basic questions, e.g., for example, how can I modify which group (team) can access a particular folder. I wish the book had more on this, and much less of the “let’s all cheer for SharePoint” stuff that fills much of the book. There is some value in the book, but I am not sure which audience this book is meant to help.”Zack Reviewed in Canada on January 25, 2022
Our Conclusion about the Book
The book, “SharePoint For Dummies, 2nd Edition” is a comprehensive guide to using it for collaboration, document management, and advanced features. The book is written in a clear and concise style, making it easy to understand for both beginners and experienced users.
The book covers a wide range of topics, from basic concepts and navigation to advanced features like workflows and business intelligence. Each chapter is organized in a logical and easy-to-follow format, with step-by-step instructions and screenshots to guide you through each process.
Overall, this is a valuable resource for anyone looking to learn or improve their skills in using SharePoint. Whether you’re a business user looking to collaborate with colleagues or an IT professional looking to administer and customize sites, this book has something to offer.
Unlock the potential of Microsoft’s powerful web-based collaborative platform that comes standard with Microsoft 365
Frequently ask Questions
1. Who is this book for?
This book is designed for anyone who wants to learn how to use SharePoint, from beginners to more advanced users.
2. What topics does the book cover?
The book covers a wide range of topics, including setting up a SharePoint site, managing documents and lists, creating workflows, customizing the user interface, and using business intelligence tools.
3. Is this book up-to-date?
The book was published in 2019, so some of the information may be slightly outdated. However, the core concepts and features of the platform are still relevant and the book provides a solid foundation for understanding how to use the platform.
4. Is this book easy to follow?
The book is written in a clear and accessible style, with plenty of screenshots and step-by-step instructions to guide readers through each topic.
5. Are there any additional resources available to supplement the book?
Yes, the For Dummies website offers additional resources and materials, including cheat sheets, tutorials, and videos, to help readers get the most out of the book.
6. Can this book be used as a reference guide?
Yes, the book is organized in a way that makes it easy to find specific information or topics as needed, making it a useful reference guide for anyone working with SharePoint.