Home Forums C Programming Understanding Pointers and Strings

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JonathaThurston
      Participant

Hey Guys,

I have a question regarding pointer arithmetic as I find it very hard to grasp it. Well to be totally honest I do not understand the concept at all so I wrote this program which sends a char array to a function and prints out a string of characters from a certain offset to a certain length.

I am having trouble with the loop in the function can you please help me understand it.

Thanks.

GWILouisaxwzkla
      Participant

To understand the problem completely, remember that arrays are configured as contiguous blocks of memory ( the first index in memory precedes the next and so on ) and realize the fact that pointers are simply variables that hold the address of other variables ( the size depends on your hardware and operating system ). Also keep in mind that in C the semantic value of an array’s name is the address of the first item in the array ( array [ 0 ] ). So that in your program you have a situation like :

since the array looks like this in memory ( let 0x0065fd94 be the first address of the array ):

memory address item
      0x0065fd94 ‘T’
      0x0065fd95 ‘h’
      0x0065fd96 ‘i’
      0x0065fd97 ‘s’
      …………..

and so on your loop:

starts at index == words [ 11 ] which is ‘h’ and continues until ( *index == *(index + len); ) . But since * ( index + len ) is words [ 32 ] == ‘h’ your loop never executes. I think what you wanted to do is this:

JonathaThurston
      Participant

Hey dman thanks for explaining it makes more sense now. Is it possible to avoid making *index a pointer to the array and do the manipulations on *w instead?

GWILouisaxwzkla
      Participant

Heres how I might do this ( this uses pointer arthimatic instead of indexes ) :

JonathaThurston
      Participant

Yea that makes more sense actually, and its more readable than a for loop.
      Thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘C Programming’ is closed to new topics and replies.